The Village Green — January 2020
Can you believe it – one month of the new year has gone by!
Firstly, a summary of Events for January:
- Championship pairs have now reached Post Section which will be played on 6th
- The Kiwi Trophies & Engraving Development 2x4x2 pairs. Marilyn & Carole are in the final which will be held on 9th February at Miramar.
- McArthur Henry Tournament for 1-5 yr players held last Sunday – Lorraine, Dave, Natasha & Peter had a W, L D and went into the 2nd Division but unfortunately were beaten in the first post section game. Bruce, Jana, Glenda and Ange had a W, L, L and went into the 3rd Division which they won. Well done to all. A very big thanks to all our members for the awesome support for the teams
- The Shona McFarlane Challenge was played on 27 January. Our team of Paul, Gordon & Batts won the event – well done guys.
- Veterans. We had 2 Women’s teams entered in this namely: Patricia, Sandra, Lynda & Val; Chris, Robyn Tuckett, Sharon B & Glenda (a composite team). Congratulations to Patricia’s team who came second
- Bowls3Five – we came 3rd overall in this competition.
- Pennants Results: Men’s resume next round 5th Women’s Division 1 are leading but will need to play the last round as 2 other clubs are within catching distance.
- Interclub Results: All games have now been completed. Our Men’s Eights Division 2 won their Division and has been automatically promoted. Well done guys.
- Diamond Buttons. The challenge from Silverstream was held last Friday. Unfortunately, despite wonderful draw bowls by Chris & Val, Silverstream were the winners, so the ‘Buttons’ now have a new home.
- Brian Irwin Mixed Pairs no date yet for post section play.
Events to come:
This weekend the women’s championship singles are take place.
On Monday, 3rd February – our annual Ryman’s Over 60’s Any Combo Mixed Triples Gala – see flyer on the noticeboard. Cost – $30.00 per team with lunches provided. We are still looking for teams.
The Championship Pairs Post Section for both men and women will be on Thursday, 6th February (Waitangi Day).
Men’s championship singles, entries close this Saturday, 1st February and will be played the following weekend – Saturday & Sunday 8th 9th.
The Men’s Chartered Clubs Tournament is being held in the Hutt Valley from 10th–14th February. Members please be aware that our club is Headquarters and will be busy from 8am to 7pm’ish each day so there won’t be raffles or other events during that week – this includes Community League and Kung Fu. Also, the committee room will be used by them.
Members you are welcome to come and have a practice when the green is open. However, if you wish to do driving practice please use the peg markers as we are getting damage to the rink number markers.
Another reminder about looking after our bowling mats. We had to buy new mats because our older ones were splitting badly. Please – don’t just throw them on the bank as often they don’t land flat – bent over mats gradually split! Also, when putting the mats away on the trolley after play, please lay them down neatly and flat!
Missing Bowls. We have a box of bowls missing from the cupboard – and contains size 0 bowls. If you know where these bowls are please have them returned ASAP. Remember, Club Bowls must be returned each day to the cupboard unless you make arrangements with an Executive or Match Committee Member to use them for a special event.
There was the person who sent ten different puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
What are you waiting for?
Petone Central Bowling Club came into being in June 2008 as a result of the merger between two former Clubs — the Petone Bowling Club and the Central Bowling Club. Both Clubs were well established in the Petone area with the Petone Bowling Club being inaugurated in 1897 and the Central Bowling Club in 1917.